By: Jami Timmons Klotz, Chief Product Officer, Navigate360
Understanding the Power of Technology to Support Student Well-Being
Let’s stop living in fear and start harnessing tech for good.
As a parent, I’m conscious of the pressing need to prioritize the mental health of youth and ensure the safety of our schools.
As an ed tech product executive, I recognize the opportunity to leverage data and artificial intelligence (AI) to tackle these critical challenges.
In today’s world, we are inundated with examples of how AI is “bad” or can be leveraged by bad actors, but we don’t spend enough time talking about leveraging AI and tech for good. By harnessing the power of technology responsibly, we can create innovative solutions that promote mental well-being, identify at-risk individuals, and foster safer school environments for everyone.
Integrating AI technology within schools presents an opportunity to support student wellness and pave the way for their long-term success. The use of AI-powered systems can enable us to identify behaviors and provide interventions that will allow educators to address students’ needs and create a better overall school environment where everyone can thrive.
Using technology to manage and analyze data is happening all around us. Leveraging it in our schools should not be a taboo topic. It should be something we all champion as it will also create and facilitate greater dialogue amongst counselors, teachers, students and families. We are at a pivotal time where we can leverage the technology around us to create a better future for our students, who are our country’s future.
Comprehensive Approach to Tech for Good
Crafting a future that prioritizes the mental and physical well-being of our children by tapping into existing data and intelligence is no small feat. It demands a comprehensive approach that recognizes the intersections of early intervention, mental health education, preventive measures, and collaborative efforts across various disciplines.
Over the next six weeks, I will dive into 6 key components of a layered, holistic approach that we should embrace as we look to harness tech for good and ensure the creation of a safer mental and physical space for our youth:
- Early Intervention through Data Analysis: Data and AI play a crucial role in identifying and addressing mental health issues among teens. By analyzing diverse datasets, AI algorithms can help detect early signs of mental distress.
- Personalized Mental Health Support: Each teenager’s mental health journey is unique, and data-driven AI solutions can tailor support to their specific needs.
- Risk Identification and Prevention: Data and AI can assist in identifying students who may be at higher risk of self-harm, bullying, or other safety concerns.
- Predictive Analytics for School Safety: AI and data analytics can enhance overall school safety by identifying potential threats and areas of vulnerability.
- Collaborative Data Sharing and Intervention: Leveraging data and AI to promote teen mental health and school safety requires collaboration among educators, mental health professionals, parents, and students themselves.
- Ethical Considerations and Human-Centered Approach: While harnessing data and AI for the betterment of teen mental health and school safety, product must uphold ethical principles and a human-centered approach.
The Power of Using Technology Responsibly
I am passionate about leveraging data and AI to create a positive impact on mental health and school safety. I hope to build awareness on how we can harness technology responsibly to proactively address mental health challenges, identify and prevent safety risks, and foster a supportive environment within educational institutions.
Collaboration, ethical considerations, and a human-centered approach are key to ensuring that data and AI serve as powerful tools for the well-being of our teenagers and the safety of our schools. Together, we can shape a future where technology supports the flourishing of young minds and creates safer learning environments for everyone involved.
About the Author
Jami Timmons Klotz
With over 20 years of experience in product leadership, Jami Timmons Klotz has been at the forefront of advancing big data and software products. Her expertise has helped organizations and consumers turn data into actionable insights, while leading both Product and Tech organizations through rapid growth and change in the private equity industry.
Before joining Navigate360, Jami served as Senior Vice President of Product at BigTime Software, one of Inc. 5000’s fastest-growing private companies. There, she built applications used by 2,000 firms to process $4B in billings. Jami’s career spans across several companies that include Travelclick, Orbitz, and nSight Travel Intelligence where she served as President and Chief Product Officer. Throughout her career, she has driven strategic growth, cultivated a strong brand image and defined cohesive and integrated roadmaps driven by market needs.
Jami has been a featured speaker globally on the use of big data in revenue optimization and the use of data to increase value to customers. She believes transparency and team development are key to maximizing results for all stakeholders.
Outside of her professional achievements, Jami has a strong sense of family and community. She currently resides in the suburbs of Chicago with her husband and three children. Outside of family she enjoys volunteering with groups supporting women in need as well as hiking and exploring new destinations.